Pages

Tuesday, January 25, 2011

A little bit of history


To me, reading Henry V is quite a daunting task. I've never read any of Shakespeare's histories before and really don't know what to expect. British history is a confusing mass of war, revolutions, and political coups where it seems like every five years the people end up with a new king. So, as a guide for reading through this play, I wanted to have a substantial idea of what was going on during the time it is set.  I found this timeline, which really helped me solidify when and where everything was happening (not to mention who happened to be king at the time.) 

Also, David had a great summary and family tree posted over on his blog, with lost of helpful tips on how to remember who is who. Check it out if you want the wonderfully confusing history of England to be just a little bit clearer.