Pages

Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Literary Imitation

As I mentioned previously, to fulfill the learning outcome of creatively engaging Shakespeare through literary imitation, I want to write a short story from an alternate perspective. Right now I'm considering Katharina from The Taming of the Shrew (the final scene) or possibly Ophelia from Hamlet (either the scene with her singing and flowers or her drowning). I'm trying to focus on women characters since that's the focus of my blog.

Right now, I'd really like people's opinions on these two possibilities, or maybe even a suggestion for a different character. I obviously haven't read all of Shakespeare's plays, so if there are strong female characters that would make for an interesting short story, I would love any advice!

Also, besides writing my short story, just suggestions of independent and witty female characters would be very helpful for the next step of my research, which includes analysis of women in Shakespeare's plays. Thanks!