Pages

Tuesday, February 15, 2011

"The Tempest": High-Quality Elizabethan Entertainment

I was really fascinated by what we discussed in class, that the romance plays were more for aristocratic entertainment than for any type of quality literature. Low on plot and high in the fantastic, Shakespeare knew how to play to an audience. I prepared to read The Tempest by finding pictures and videos of productions done of this play, to try and get an idea for how it might have been performed. I think if I get a grasp on how its supposed to look, the tone and feel of the play will already be set when I read it. Here are a few of my favorite production pictures:




It's really clear to me after looking through these pictures exactly how performance-oriented this play is. The bright colors and costumes, the elaborate sets, and the dramatic lighting all give an idea of how Shakespeare may have had it performed in the Globe.

One last thing: did anyone know about the new film adaptation of the The Tempest that came out last year? I think it looks really good. Interesting that Prospero is played by a woman. Here's the trailer:



What do you all think of it? It's funny to me that the reviews echoed how Dr. Burton described the romances:

Entertainment Weekly, Lisa Schwarzbaum
"...spectacle oriented ..." 

New York Post, Lou Lumenick
"...a surprisingly unengaging and charmless fantasy ..."

I'm trying to find showings nearby. but so far no luck. Let me know if you happen upon any!